Happy 20th anniversary, Pokemon!
In honor of the 20th anniversary of Pokemon Red/Green's release in Japan, I made a little set of Kanto starters plus their Trainer Red in his Gen I outfit!
Most of these were improvised, with the exception of Squirtle. I used the base body from Squirtle to help improvise the others.
Each Pokemon took about 4-8 hours to complete, mostly because of improvisation trial and error time. Red was the biggest for this, and took about 12 hours to complete. Red in particular was done all in one day, but most of the others were done over a period of 2-3 days.Squirtle
The only one that used a pattern, which you can find on Ravelry
Pretty straight-forward, so not too much to say.
I'm still not 100% happy with the colors. I tried so hard, but in the end had to settle with the closest I could get with my stash.
Was the first one completed.Charmander
After finishing the body and head and sewing them together, I got rather apathetic, and so he sat on my dresser for about 4 months. When the anniversary started approaching, I decided to retake the effort and make them all.
Pretty much follows the Squirtle pattern verbatim except for the lack of shell and instead tail and belly details.
After attempting to make the tail myself, I gave up and found this pattern
, from which I borrowed the tail.
Completed second, and has the longest "in progress" time of 5 months (September 16th to February 18th). Despite this, the actual "work" period is only maybe 2 days.Bulbasaur
Base body was altered to be thicker than the previous 2. Only thing the same from the Squirtle pattern are the limbs; everything else is improvised.
The bulb was a pain in the neck. I'm still not satisfied with it. Took nearly 3 hours to find a look I was okay with.
Completed third, and was intended to be the last.Pikachu
Was an impromptu decision to be inclusive of Yellow.
Base body is thicker like Bulbasaur's. Also like Bulba, only the limbs are from the base Squirtle pattern. Tail came from this pattern
Completed in one day, in about 4 hours.Red
Just when I thought I was finished, I decided it'd be fun to make Red as well.
Body comes from a base that I like to use. I've made quite a few human dolls using this pattern.
I originally started making FRLG's Red (because I like that design better, personally), but decided instead to go Gen I so he'd match the 20th anniversary theme.
After experimenting with a few ideas, I gave up on trying to get the spiky hair. His hair is instead embroidered to the head. Bleh.
The hat is not removable, but the jacket/vest is. Jacket was more or less patterned after this one
, but with a few alterations.
Not pictured here is a tiny Pokedex I made for him out of felt, which fits in his jacket pockets, which are functional.
Made in one day, from about 11 AM to 11 PM.NOTHING IS FOR SALE. Patterns listed when applicable. Pokemon belongs to Nintendo, GAME FREAK, and its other related companies.